HMRC offers taxpayers the ability to check their Income Tax for the current tax year. The online portal has been updated for the new 2022-23 tax year from 6 April 2022 to 5 April 2023. The service is not available to taxpayers who only pay Income Tax using Self-Assessment.
The service can be used to:
- check your tax code and Personal Allowance
- see if your tax code has changed
- tell HMRC about changes that affect your tax code
- update your employer or pension provider details
- see an estimate of how much tax you will pay over the whole tax year
- check and change the estimates of how much income you will get from your jobs, pensions or bank and building society savings interest
In order to use this service, taxpayers must prove their identity using a Government Gateway user ID. If you have not used this service before, you can register online.
The portal used to be available for those using the GOV.UK Verify service. However, this alternative sign-in method for a limited number of HMRC online services was removed from 1 April 2022.