Accounting services in Abingdon, Oxford and across all UK

Need a National Insurance number?

You can apply for a National Insurance number if you live in the UK and have the right to work in the UK. You must also be looking for work or have an offer to start work in the UK. If you have already started working you can still apply.

Make sure you’re eligible before you apply for a National Insurance number. If you already have one you will not be sent a new one.

You do not need to apply if you:

  • have lost your National Insurance number,
  • are a UK resident aged 19 or under,
  • have a biometric residence permit which has a National Insurance number printed on it,
  • are applying for benefits or a student loan.

If you’re a UK resident aged 19 or under you will normally be sent a National Insurance number automatically, in the three months before your 16th birthday, if both the following are true: that you live in the UK and a parent has filled in a Child Benefit claim form for you


If you are aged 16 to 19 and did not get a National Insurance number, call HM Revenue and Customs.

If you do not have a National Insurance number, you must apply for one if you plan to work. You can only apply when you are in the UK.

You do not need a National Insurance number to apply for benefits or a student loan. You will receive one if your application for benefits or a student loan is successful.

Source: HM Revenue & Customs Tue, 31 Aug 2021 00:00:00 +0100

Get more stuff like this
in your inbox

Subscribe to our mailing list and get interesting stuff and updates to your email inbox.

Thank you for subscribing.

Something went wrong.